Game Update 323 August 2013
The game has gone through what feels like a million changes in the last couple of weeks, most of which unfortunately won't be apparant because they are either under the hood, or because i've since thrown them away in disgust.
The version you see below is something like the fifth set of tiles I went through before settling on an art style. I started with 16x16 tiles, but soon discovered it takes me waaaaay too long to draw anything half decent at that scale, so I made the decision to switch to 8x8. This should hopefully mean I can crank out graphics at a much quicker rate (I tend to obsess over every pixel, so less pixels is good), and focus on the more important stuff, like gameplay.
In terms of code, i've radically overhauled almost everything by switching to an Entity Component System. Now i've got over the initial hump I think it's pretty awesome, and should enable a really nice easy workflow for adding content down the line. The only downside is I can feel myself falling slightly into the "make an engine not a game" trap, so I really need to stay on top of that and refocus my efforts into building out the game side of it for a while.
You can try the latest build below, and for comparison, you can find the last update here.
Feedback Friday 4123 August 2013
Thanks to everyone who gave feedback last week, I know there is not much here, but I really get a kick from knowing people have tried it out.
There have been quite a few changes in the last few days:
- I've doubled the resolution, so everything is easier to see (still 16x16 tiles)
- Graphics! I added proper tiles instead of the flat color placeholders. Still no player sprite though.
- Fixed a few bugs:
- The game now handles arbitrary room sizes, so small rooms get centered on the screen, and large rooms cause the camera to detach and follow the player.
- I've replaced by hand coded map arrays with a parser for the Tiled Editor TMX format, which is going to make content generation MUCH easier.
- I've started work on an entity system, again driven from data coming from Tiled, but so far i only have a single static entity in the room below where you start. Next up, interaction!
You can try the latest build below, there is still not a lot there, but hopefully you can see the progress i'm making. For comparison, you can find last weeks update here.
Feedback Friday 4023 August 2013
I was in two minds whether or not to post anything today, as this project is at a very early stage, but I figured the more I get it out there and talk to people about it, the more chance I have of actually finishing it.
With that in mind, i'm going to start doing as many Feedback Fridays and Screenshot Saturdays as I can until it's done even if it's embarrassingly early in development.
This first version is not a lot more than a prototype for testing collision detection, player movement, and map loading, so don't expect much.more posts